The position of Gallery Director, Hera Gallery/Hera Educational Foundation is a part-time paid position. Director reports directly to the President of the Board of Directors.
This position, while an administrative position, is a creative springboard allowing a motivated individual the opportunity to contribute to the local arts community by leading a well-regarded institution. Hera encourages the gallery director to pursue his or her professional interests. The gallery director may develop skills in the following areas: curatorial experience and exhibition design, graphic design and social media marketing, professional level arts writing, development skills, grant writing, website development.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Organizational skills
- Good computer skills—proficiency in Microsoft Word and Excel, familiarity with Photoshop, Illustrator.
- Administrative experience desired, with ability to multitask
- The gallery director must have the ability to work with a diverse audience of local community members as well as artists, arts professionals, funders, and media. Serves as liason with community
- background or involvement in the visual arts
- Administrative: execute the general day-to-day operations of the gallery, supervise interns and volunteers, maintain exhibition and gallery records. Facilitate communication between artist members, Board of Directors and Friends of Hera. Oversee preparation of bulk mailings.
- Public Relations: includes writing press releases, developing relationships with journalists; assisting with writing and editing gallery publications such as website, newsletters, fundraising materials and targeted emails to journalists, supporters, artists and maintaining a presence on social media.
- Development: Works with Board members to:
- implement annual fundraising initiatives
- expand our donors and Friends of Hera members.
- increase artist membership.
- Assist exhibiting artists and curators with coordination of exhibitions and programs.
- Attend and prepare Director’s report for monthly Board meetings; attend gallery events.
This is an 18 hour/week position. The director is responsible for opening and closing the gallery Wednesdays-Fridays 1-5pm and then uses the other four hours before or after open gallery hours.
To apply send a letter of inquiry describing your qualifications and other relevant information and your resume to: email firstname.lastname@example.org (put job application as subject) or mail to Hera Gallery, PO Box 336, Wakefield, RI 02880 by June 7, 2017.