FirstWorks seeks a detail-oriented individual with excellent writing skills to create communications and align case-making in order to advance FirstWorks in its second decade of connecting art with audiences. The Grants Manager will assume lead responsibility for foundation, government, and corporate grants. Reporting to the Director of Development, s/he will play a central role in implementing FirstWorks annual development plan, with key responsibility for the complete grant writing process– including prospecting, proposals, fulfillment, donor reports and cultivation.
The FirstWorks Grants Manager must develop a holistic understanding of FirstWorks strategies and assets to tell the FirstWorks story and meet development objectives.
FirstWorks is a growing non-profit arts organization dedicated to enhancing the cultural, educational and economic vitality of our community by engaging audiences with world-class performing arts and education programs.
Applicants will be considered for both full- and part-time. Start date: Summer 2017
Primary responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Manage a diverse portfolio of grants from foundation, corporate, and government
- Research, identify, and cultivate new prospects to obtain funding sources from local and national foundations, corporate and government agencies, and individual donors
- Write grant proposals, appeals, and applications including development of attachments and budgets for grant requests
- Design and manage an index for work-samples and support materials used for submissions
- Build and maintain a robust grants base: develop and maintain key long-term relationships with program officers and prospects
- Rapidly synthesize data, strategy, and programmatic goals to create compelling cases for the support of FirstWorks
- Participate in regular Development team meetings to ensure clear communication, foster brainstorming and proactive planning, and task tracking
- Develop, track and submit proposals, grant requirements and interim and final reports for all foundation, government and corporate fundraising
- Work with the Director of Development to ensure smooth day-to-day fundraising operations, including best practices and processes for timely data entry and gift processing, ensuring smooth integration with financial system tracking system
- In conjunction with senior staff, oversee the creation and regular communication of effective program evaluation tools and reports
- Maintain grant status and reporting within our CRM. Develop custom reports as necessary
- Develop and manage copy for web, newsletters, prospecting, annual appeal, donor recognition, and cultivation
- Support Annual Fund and donor cultivation/fundraising events
- Bachelor’s degree required with minimum of 2-3 years of experience working with cultural nonprofits, including 2 years of development, grant writing or related experience.
- Excellent writer, creative and strategic thinker with ability to clearly articulate organizational mission, programs, and present FirstWorks in a compelling and effective manner.
- Familiarity with issues related to arts and education trends; understanding of and belief in FirstWorks’ mission.
- Ability to work independently and as part of a team; outstanding organizational skills, attention to detail, and initiative.
- Welcoming presence: ability to generate enthusiasm for the organization, elicit cooperation, and get information over the phone, via email, and in person.
- Facile knowledge/user of software applications (i.e. word processing, spreadsheets, email, search engines, databases, prospect research tools); familiarity with Patron Manager/SalesForce a plus.
- Commitment to connecting art with audiences and FirstWorks core values:
~Creativity and artistic excellence
~Arts potential for social impact
Salary is commensurate with professional experience. Benefits include health care (full-time only) and vacation; an excellent working environment; and the ability to have an impact on creating access and engagement with the arts and bettering the lives of children in Providence and across Rhode Island.
FirstWorks is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We are committed to a diverse workplace. Women, persons of color, and persons with disabilities are encouraged to apply.
How to apply
Interested applicants should send:
- A cover letter, resume, and 1- to 3- multi-page writing samples
- The names and contact information of 3 professional references
Send applications to:
Email to: email@example.com (include the position title in the subject line)
Or by mail at: FirstWorks, 275 Westminster St, Suite 501., Providence, RI 02903