Machines with Magnets is seeking artists and guest curators to coordinate gallery exhibitions beginning in January 2018. Curators will coordinate 4 to 6 week-long solo or group exhibitions, focused on (but not limited to) the following disciplines:
– Fine art (e.g. sculpture, painting, printmaking, illustration, and drawing)
– Craft (e.g. textiles, glass, ceramics, metalwork, jewelry, and furniture)
– Design (e.g. graphic, industrial, product, typographic, and environmental)
– Architecture and landscape architecture (e.g. blueprints, models, and concepts)
– Installation, multimedia and performance
– Solo or collective artist residencies (in which installations evolve over time and the gallery is used as a ‘work’ space)
Exhibitions should focus on contemporary/postmodern works by emerging and/or established artists. Installation, large format, site specific, multimedia, and interactive works are encouraged!
Specific responsibilities vary for each exhibit and curator, but can include:
– Locating and contacting artist(s) to exhibit, and conducting studio visits as needed
– Creating attractive, design-forward promotional materials, and promoting the exhibit through a variety of channels
– Coordinating exhibit schedule with MWM’s Artistic Director (including installation dates, receptions, artist talks and other special events, optional open gallery hours, exhibit duration, and custom cocktail list if desired)
– Booking musical and/or performance acts for opening and closing receptions (optional and as desired)
– Being available and present for opening and closing receptions, and any open gallery hours
We’re looking for driven, dedicated, reliable artists and curators interested in creating innovative exhibitions and bringing a new audience to a unique art space. Individuals, groups/collectives, and organizations are welcome to apply; students should be graduate level and above. Past curatorial experience is not necessary, and it’s helpful to have your own transportation (but not required). We accept proposals on a rolling basis.
Please email Catherine Hood, Creative Director, at email@example.com, with a brief description of your proposed exhibition/project and at least 3 related images.
About Machines with Magnets:
MWM is a recording studio, experimental music venue, art gallery, event space, and cocktail bar located in Pawtucket’s downtown Arts & Entertainment District. Our 800 square foot gallery, established in 2006, has hosted a broad range of exhibits including the 2012 RISCA Fellowship Exhibition and artists including Umberto Crenca, Pneuhaus, Work/Death, COLLISIONcollective, Aimee Odum, Leah Piepgras, Devra Freelander, Keri King, and more. The Gallery is adjacent to the venue and bar, which host a variety of music shows and private events each month.